We know what to expect as we enter summer here in Texas: toasty weather and higher electric bills. With the impending heat, we would like to give you some energy saving tips for when you move into your new Shaddock Home. We’ve narrowed our tips down to three categories, so we can focus on the biggest places to save energy!
- Embrace the dreamy natural light in your home! During daylight hours utilize the natural light in rooms you’re using to cut down on the electric bill, lighting accounts for about 12% of a residential bill.
- Make sure to use your window shades and curtains on rooms you aren’t in! Be diligent during summer on keeping your shades closed, it’ll help cool your home.
- Remember to always replace your light bulbs with energy efficient ones with light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs. These bulbs offer longer lasting light and are more energy-efficient, which will save you money in the long run. Since the average home uses 40 bulbs, switching over to greener bulbs is a great way to save on your electrical bill.
2. Electronics and Appliances
- If you’re cooking simple meals, use smaller appliances to cook instead of your stove! For example, using a microwave will save more energy compared to your stove.
- When you do use your oven, don’t peek! Every time you open your oven the temperature drops around 25 degrees and takes longer to cook. But try turning off the oven a few minutes before the cooking time runs out. Your food should continue to cook without using the extra electricity!
- Wait until night to run the dishwasher and clothes washer/dryer! Doing laundry at night will keep your home cooler and reduce strain on the power grid.
- Shop till you drop at the grocery store! Did you know that your refrigerators and freezers actually run at peak efficiency when full? But be careful about overfilling as that can reduce airflow making the appliance work harder.
- Have extra time on your hands? Turn off the heat drying portion of your dishwasher and dry your dishes by hand. This will cut down on energy.
- Turn on your ceiling fans! Running your fans will add comfort to your home without having to raise the thermostat higher.
- While it might be more convenient, don’t charge your cell phone overnight. It only takes a few hours to charge fully and it wastes energy leaving it plugged in.
- Conserve! On average a single homeowner can save around $150 a year with small habit changes with their water usage. For example: Don’t keep the water running when you brush your teeth or shaving. Only use it when you actually need it. Only wash full loads of clothes, utilizing every instance of running the washing machine. Take more showers and less baths, you can save gallons of water each time.
- Wash clothes in cold water and you’ll save some cash while you do it. 90% of the energy used by your washer is used to heat the water. Using cooler water for every load will save you energy and money.
Here at Shaddock Homes we strive to build dream homes for every one of our buyers. Because of that we do a lot of research to stay up to date with design styles and trends. One of the biggest things we have been seeing in home design is having statement walls.
Statement walls have always been around, but they are having a revival moment now. There are also endless ways to have a statement wall in your home and also very different ways to do it. This trend is super exciting due to how much impact it can have on a room. Our favorite statement wall designs are: reclaimed wood, shiplap and wallpaper. We’ve utilized these trends in our models in almost every type of room. Which of these styles would you like to see more of? Also, don’t forget to check out our Design Studio here for more information on home design. Or head over to our Pinterest for more inspiration.
We’ve been busy selling, selling, selling in the KingsBridge community! We are down to our last remaining homes and have even put our gorgeous model on the market. If you dream of a perfectly located community that offers small town living, but with all the city conveniences look no further.
KingsBridge is nestled among mature trees and grassy meadows near Southfork Ranch in Wylie, Texas. This Collin County community is serviced by the highly acclaimed Plano Independent School District for your little ones. Along with a desirable school district, you will also be in close proximity to Lake Lavon, offering endless outdoor activities. The close by city perks offer some of the most desirable shopping and dining areas. These include Firewheel Town Center, Fairview Town Center, Watters Creek Town Center and Allen Premium Outlets.
Click here to view our last remaining homes before they’re gone.
We have been working hard here at Shaddock Homes to design new innovative floor plans and continue to grow in our quality of craftsmanship. One of our biggest accomplishments lately has been the grand opening of our Whitestone Estates model in Parker, TX. This gorgeous home combines our traditional style with more modern styles as well. Homes in this community will rest on 1-2 acre home sites and range from 3,500 to 5,200 sq. ft.
Whitestone Estates is located in Parker, TX and features parks, ponds, trails and is still in close proximity to city comforts. This community is serviced by Plano ISD. To learn more about Whitestone Estates, click here.
We also had a great grand opening event for Whitestone Estates in April, partnered with HotOn Homes and Grand Homes. The evening event featured food from The Library in Grapevine, cocktails, live music at our model and some great prize giveaways.
Here are a few photos from that fun event:
Categories: Awards & Recognition, Events, Shaddock Homes | Posted: May 11, 2018 | Comments Off on Shaddock Homes is Thriving in 2018
It has been awhile since we have made a blog post, but that is because we have been rapidly growing and developing as a company. In the last few years we have grown almost 70%! Now for a little catch up… We were recently recognized by Builder Magazine for being one of the fastest growing building companies in the country. You can find the full article here. The Shaddock Homes family is also proud to say we have been received the Best Builder award by D Home magazine in 2017 and 2018. In 2017 we were also ranked #32 on the Middle Market 50 by the Dallas Business Journal and ranked #112 of Housing Giants by Professional Builder Magazine. Along with these awards and recognition, we have also been building in new communities across the Dallas Metroplex. We take time and care to build every single home to the superior craftsmanship level we are known for. You can find more information about all our current communities here. Keep a look out for more details on all our stunning homes. Most of all we want to say thank you to all our team members, realtors and of course our wonderful buyers for making all this growth and success possible!